Warlord Arms
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warlord Arms

All discussions on swords, knives, knife sharpening and all related topics.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  LinksLinks  

Infanterie Greift An (Infantry Attacks) - Erwin Rommel

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Guevara
Baron
Baron
Guevara

Infanterie Greift An (Infantry Attacks) - Erwin Rommel Empty
PostSubject: Infanterie Greift An (Infantry Attacks) - Erwin Rommel   Infanterie Greift An (Infantry Attacks) - Erwin Rommel EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 3:35 am

I couldn't find a free version of the book, but here is a link to buy it:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/250838.Infantry_Attacks

1-Abridged Biography

Erwin Johannes Eugen Rommel (15 November 1891 – 14 October 1944), popularly known as the Desert Fox (Wüstenfuchs, ), was a famous German Field Marshal of World War II.
He was a highly decorated officer in World War I, awarded the Pour le Mérite for his exploits on the Italian front. In World War II, he further distinguished himself as the commander of the 7th Panzer Division during the 1940 invasion of France. However, it was his leadership of German and Italian forces in the North African campaign that established the legend of the Desert Fox. He is considered to have been one of the most skilled commanders of desert warfare in the war. He later commanded the German forces opposing the Allied cross-channel invasion in Normandy.
Rommel is regarded as a humane and professional officer. His Afrikakorps was never accused of war crimes. Soldiers captured during his Africa campaign were reported to have been treated humanely. Furthermore, he ignored orders to kill captured commandos, Jewish soldiers and civilians in all theaters of his command.
Late in the war, Rommel was linked to the conspiracy to kill Adolf Hitler. Throughout the war, Rommel was a highly prized national hero, the "Desert Fox" of Germany. Due to his wide renown, Hitler chose to eliminate him quietly. In trade for the protection of his family, Rommel agreed to commit suicide.

2 - Infantary Attacks[b]

Infantry Attacks (in German: Infanterie greift an) is a classic book on military tactics written by German Field Marshal Erwin Rommel about his experiences in World War I. In it were his Stoßtruppen (shock troops) tactics, which used speed, deception and deep penetration into enemy territory to surprise and overwhelm. Throughout the book, Rommel reports assigning small numbers of men to approach enemy lines from the direction in which attack was expected. The men would yell, throw hand grenades and otherwise simulate the anticipated attack from concealment, while attack squads and larger bodies of men sneaked to the flanks and rears of the defenders to take them by surprise, very often intimidating them into surrender, avoiding unnecessary exertion, expenditures of ammunition and risk of injury. It was published in 1937 and helped to persuade Adolf Hitler to give Rommel high command, although he was not from an old military family or the Prussian aristocracy which had traditionally dominated the German officer corps. Until 1945 about half million copies were printed. It is still reprinted from time to time.
Rommel planned to write a successor called The Tank In Attack (in German: Panzer greift an) about tank warfare, and gathered much material during the North Africa campaign. However he died before completing this work.
Rommel's book, written as a day to day journal of his World War I exploits, was used throughout the west as a resource for infantry tactical movements. General George Patton was among the many influential military leaders reported to have read "Infantry Attacks". The book was referred to in the 1970 film Patton, when George C. Scott yells, "Rommel, you magnificent bastard. I read your book. His book was used by Patton as a weakness even though that Rommel was put in charge of the Africa Corps, which contained panzer mk 1-4; Rommel was defeated partially due to his unfiltered military tactics and Patton's 'Guts'. " However, in the scene where Patton is woken by his aides with news that Rommel's attack is in progress, the camera focuses on a book on Patton's bedside table which is entitled "The Tank in Attack", a book which Rommel had planned to write but never completed.
In 1943, an abridged version titled, more simply, "ATTACKS!" was released by the US military for officers tactical study.

Just a note, I'm not a neo-nazi or something like that. Almost all the works I publish here are german because most of great military personel are german.
Back to top Go down

Infanterie Greift An (Infantry Attacks) - Erwin Rommel
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Warlord Arms :: Library-
Jump to: